Benefits of national statistical societies and national statistical office collaborating
Category: International Statistical Institute
A session designed to discuss the benefits for both national statistical societies and national statistical offices of close collaboration between the two.
The presenters will speak from their own experience of academic/ official statistician collaboration.
Benefits from an NSO perspective:
· An outside critique – a ‘critical friend’
· A platform to discuss official statistical issues outside the ‘official’ framework
· A champion with the public and with government
· A source of additional expertise
Benefits from an NSS perspective:
· Influence over official statistics direction and policy
· A source of members and activities
· Highlight the relevance of the society and statistics in public policy
The discussant will bring the contributions together at the end, bringing out some common themes.